The FDA is warning pet owners about high levels of aflatoxin in some Sportmix products after a shocking 28 dogs died and 8 others were reportedly sickened. Manufactured by Midwestern Pet Foods, the company launched a voluntary recall last Wednesday.
The FDA is working with the Missouri Department of Agriculture to determine whether or not this is a wide-spread issue than just through Midwestern sellers. "The scope of the recall may expand as new information becomes available," The FDA said in a statement.
The toxin in question, aflatoxin, is a product of the Aspergillus flavus mold, and can grow on grains used in pet foods, defaulting in a high level of toxin ingestion. Symptoms of ingestion include sluggishness, jaundice, loss of appetite, vomiting, and diarrhea. Ingesting aflatoxin can also cause long-term liver damage, and all pet food that has been affected should be tossed.